I spend time consistently reflecting upon this quote, “Leadership is influence, nothing more, nothing less.” (John Maxwell) We are all leaders, whether we choose to be or not, the decision is up to you. Developing your leadership style is imperative, along with the skills and ability to influence and move another human being to take action.
At any given moment someone is watching you, reading your emails, talking with you and though you may not realize it, you are influencing someone somewhere.
In what ways are you developing your leadership style?
What message are you sending to the world? What impact are you having on others?
I recently embarked on what I like to call, my own “transformational” leadership journey and I would like to share with you some things I have discovered.
These are my 4 Key Tips to understanding and developing your leadership style ~
- Know who you are and get out of your comfort zone ~
- This is critical. If you are able to define who you are, and never lose sight of that, you’ll stay on solid ground. Forces seek to pull or push you off your path, don’t be surprised when you’re taken off track more than once. If you can know who you are, you can return to that, time and time again. When all else around you makes no sense, you can trust the roots that you’ve established. Knowing who you are essentially becomes your brand.
- Prepare for change~
- Life is ever changing. Change is all around us. And what we see in front of us, may not always be what is real. Our minds can trick us into believing all kinds of lies about ourselves, others and the world around us. If you are willing to shift your perspective, and be flexible, your “Transformational” Leadership journey will be easier to walk.
- Do what it takes – Lead by Example ~
- When you are willing to do what it takes to change for the better, or to weather adverse situations, others are more likely to respect you. If you are asking others to change, they will most likely check your integrity before they fully commit to the vision, mission or goal. They want to be able to trust you, and when you are willing to lead by example, you increase the chances of that happening.
- Be Authentic (Be Yourself) ~
- In a nutshell, it is about being authentic. The real you, as you are. Be honest and be human. We are all in this together. If you are trying to be someone else, or wear a mask to influence or manipulate others to follow, they will eventually see through it. Besides, it takes a huge amount of energy to keep that facade up, doesn’t it? Be yourself, relax, and focus on the most important issues. If you’re concerned about how you’re perceived by other, it’ll only leave you stressed out and anxious.
As a “transformational” leader, or better yet, I’m loving the concept of “change agent” you can activate your personal leadership journey by being aware of yourself. Be willing to change the parts of you that no longer serve you or those around you. Then you will be respected for who you are, not just for what you do.
The message you are sending to the world is wrapped around these 4 governing principles. It’s not about re-creating yourself, it’s about stepping into your designed purpose. The self you were created to be ~
Transformation is possible ~ but it must be intentional.